When choosing a Vet, ask yourself these questions:
- Before your pet needs care, call and talk with the office. Was this first encounter positive?
(Inquire about taking a tour and meeting some of the staff.)
- Inquire about AAHA membership, is the hospital accredited? SVH is one of only 3 area hospitals in NW Ohio that are certified members of the AAHA. (Besides SVH the Emergency Clinic and Holly Farms are AAHA members.)
- What are the offices hours. Are they open and available when you are?
- Who sees your pet if there is an after hours emergency?
- What happens if your pet has an emergency during the noon hour?
- Can you visit your hospitalized pet 24/7?
- Can you call and talk with a staff member not a machine or answering service 24/7?
- Does the veterinarian practice sterile surgery?
- Do they wear caps, gowns, masks and sterile gloves for each sterile surgery?
- Does the hospital have a dedicated sterile surgical suite?
- How many anesthesia machines does the practice have? At least one per doctor on staff is reasonable.
- Is the practice using Isoflurane? If they are using Sevoflurane and Propofol, this indicates a more advanced practice.
- Is each surgical case monitored during the procedure? How?
- What monitors do they use?
- Are surgical cases hospitalized when necessary?
- If so, is there someone in the office to check them overnight?
- How long are they there?
- Does the practice provide dental care?
- Are all cleaning polished after cleaning?
- Do they have dental x-ray equipment?
- Will they save a tooth by doing a root canal rather than pull a tooth?
- Are surgical patients given pain medication during recovery?
- Does the practice send their surgery patients home with pain management?
As you might expect, the answers to all these questions are yes at SylvaniaVET. You must decide how important these issues are to you. We think providing the best, most up to date care for your pet is extremely important. If you agree, please feel free to choose SVH to be your pet’s doctor. We challenge you to find another practice that is as thorough and well equipped. SylvaniaVET is committed to excellent quality care. We have a large well trained staff to help make pet ownership a joy for you.
SylvaniaVET is proud to be certified with the American Animal Hopital Association, or the “AAHA”. In 1978 SylvaniaVET was the first area hospital to become a fully accredited and voluntarily inspected facility. We are proud of our committment to the highest standards of the profession for the past three decades.
Certification is based on a three year period in the following areas:
- Anesthesia Protocols
- Client Services
- Contagious Disease Control
- Continuing Education
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency and Urgent Care
- Examination Facilities
- Housekeeping and Maintenance
- Human Resources
- Medical Records
- Pain Management
- Patient Care
We keep our complete hospital compliance manual on file. Please ask to see it when you next visit. We would be proud to share with you the compliments we received at our last review!